3D Stereoscopic production
The Solo Adventures is an AWARD winning stereoscopic viral phenomonon that I Co-Wrote and Directed. Check out the feature page! Link
Daniel L Smith Award winning Director /Stereographer / Supervisor / Teacher
I understand stereoscopic 3D in a unique way: I emphasize story telling and human factors.
I am confident that my innovations will improve work flows and save money. My approach will give your production an extra edge, streamline your production and improve your quality.
As a consultant and stereoscopic supervisor I have been involved in managing and overseeing all stages of stereoscopic production, live-action, CG Animation, Stop Motion or combinations of all the above.
After seeing "Corkscrew Hill" and "Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular," Lenny Lipton said these films “show a complete mastery of the medium. I have never seen anything better.” -Lenny Lipton, CTO RealD Cinema
I have found that my strong sense of depth perception and my creative background give me the experience to create solutions for the difficult issues of stereoscopic 3D. From a 24 year passion for stereo photography and 17 + years of working and researching all things stereoscopic I have accomplished the following:
- Deep knowledge of Stereoscopic conversion techniques.
- Trained hundreds of artists who have converted 2D motion pictures into stereo 3D such as "The Avengers," "Titanic," "Jurassic Park," and "Pacific Rim"
- Innovative uses of the 3D fourth wall and script analysis for the best use of 3Ds' emotional impact.
- Stereoscopic human factors. Understanding the psychology of 3D space and the way our brain interprets the space and sees depth perception. The influence of inter-axial and inter ocular distances on the perception of size and mass.
- Use of Parallax, color, size, and shape to create dynamic 3D imagery
- Creation of screen planes, floating windows, stereo camera rigs, minimizing ghosting issues, and maximizing depth.
- Deep understanding of when to use converging cameras versus parallel and how to mix the two.
- 3D depth chart analysis. Ability to determine down to the pixel level the amount of perceived depth given the exact seat in the audience, and how to translate that to a VFX artist's monitor.
- Theater space and screen size knowledge for projection setup, geometric distortions, and shot influence for the amount of parallax and placement of effects in the visual image.
- Needs and requirements for different stereo outputs, IMAX, RealD, Dolby 3D, BluRay 3D and Dual Projection Etc.
“Daniel helped us produce some extremely complex stereoscopic animated projects for digital projection and large format film delivery, and the results of his efforts were excellent.” -Jeff Kleiser, Synthespian Studios
“Dan’s technical expertise and creative talent helped to push our Spy Kids III effects over the top.” -Vicki Weimer, Producer CafeFX
Stereoscopic Supervision / Consultation / Production
- “Creature Comforts: The Lost Episodes"- September 2013 - CG Animated. DCP SONY4k. Stereoscopic Supervisor, Stereographer.
- “Safaka World"- April 2013 - CG Animated. DCP SONY4k. Stereoscopic Supervisor, Stereographer.
- “The Goodlifers"- Dec 2012 - CG Animated. DCP SONY4k. Stereoscopic Supervisor, Stereographer.
- “StarWars:Droids"- June 2012 - CG Animated. Dual Digital HD Projection. Visual Effects Supervisor & Stereographer.
- “TimeSlice"- March 2012 - CG Animated. Dual Digital HD Projection. Director / Writer / Stereographer
- “Captain Sternn"- December 2011 - CG Animated. Dual Digital HD Projection. VFX / Stereographer
- “Doctor Who: The Dream Child"- June 2011 - CG Animated. Dual Digital HD Projection. Writer/Director / Stereographer
- “Nazi Robots"- March 2011 - Live Action/VFX. Dual Digital HD Projection.Visual Effects Supervisor & Stereographer.
- “Zombie Aparkalypse"- September 2010 - CG Animated. Dual Digital HD Projection. Director / Stereo Supervisor
- “StarWars: The Solo Adventures"- June 2010 - CG Animated. RealD Theatrical Projection - Director / Co-Writer / Stereo Supervisor - Public debut at Celebration V, Orlando Florida, Winner of "Best Animated Feature" Star Wars Fan Film Competition.
- “Molecules to the Max"- 2009 - CG Animated. Dual 15 perf 70mm IMAX. 45 min TRT. (2D to 3D conversion consultant)
- “Dimension Technologies"- 2008 - CG Animated. 9 View Auto stereoscopic Display. :30 TRT. Rochester, NY
- “Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular 2008"- 2008 - CG Animated. Dual 70mm projection. 4 min TRT. Radio City Music Hall, NY (Consultation on 2008 update of film)
- “Spy Kids 3D: Game Over"- 2003 - Live action green screen. Single strip anaglyph projection. 81 min RT. CafeFX
- “Solar Coaster"- 2003 - CG Animated.Dual HD projection. 5 min TRT. PowderKeg Inc.
- “African Safari"- 2003 - CG Animated. Dual SD projection. 6 min TRT. Flight Avionics
- “Sea Hawk"- 2002 - CG Animated. Dual SD projection. 6 min TRT. Flight Avionics
- “Tinker Doodle Christmas"- 2002 - CG Animated. Dual HD projection. 10 min TRT. Santa's Village, Jefferson NH
- “Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular"- 2001 - CG Animated. Dual 70mm projection. 4 min TRT. Radio City Music Hall, NY
- “Corkscrew Hill"- 2000 - CG Animated. 4K Digital projection. 10 min TRT. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- “I Lost my M in Vegas"-1998 - CG Animated with Live action and stop motion. Over Under Condon System 35 mm. 8 min TRT M&M's world Las Vegas, NV
"Daniel Smith was the one who fully understood my spreadsheets and formulas that predicted how the stereoscopic effects would look from each area in the theater seating area. He grasped at once how these quantitative methods could be used to make the stereoscopic experience comfortable yet exciting, by knowing precisely how to avoid causing visual discomfort and eyestrain. I look forward to working with Dan again on a future project!." -John Merritt,
The Merritt Group
“You’re all’s Staff Battle sequence is the movie stand-out. Thanks for all your hard work.” -Robert Rodriguez on Spy Kids 3D
CafeFX crew on SpyKids 3D. Daniel Smith Stereoscopic Supervisor seen back row center holding up "3" Digits
3D Equipment Experience
- The Foundry's Nuke and Ocula, beta testing and development
- DCP creation, Open Cinema Tools
- Mocha beta development
- NewTek's Lightwave 3D beta development
- Eyeon's Digital Fusion beta development
- Zalman Trimon, iZ3d, Samsung, ViewSonic and nVida 3D Vision
- Barco Digital Projectors
- Electroscopic HD projection servers
- RealD, Dolby 3D, ExpanD, and IMAX 3D
- Design and operation of camera 3D rigs.
- Design, implementation of 3D playback solutions, DLP, CRT, Dual Projection.
- Doremi playback servers and CineAsset DCP encoding software
- SONY 4K projectors and servers.
- SyncCode™ is a special visual way of marking two strips of film for frame accurate synchronization for 3D stereoscopic projection. With it, you can quickly see how many frames out of sync a film is or if it is drifting phase. SyncCode™ Has been used on several films where dual projection synchronization must be prefect. Its also useful for testing Single and dual projection film and digital setups.
- Geo3Distort™ - I have created several proprietary methods to map out compound vertical, horizontal key stoning, and barrel distortion caused by offset projection and inconsistencies of dual projection lens. These methods pre distort each eye differently so that when projected the image will be in proper alignment on the projection screen.
- PookaVision™ - I have invented several special alignment grids that are used for projection alignment and depth analysis of a venue. I have crafted special versions of these for different film formats, HD, and IMAX presentation.
- DepthGrade™ - I have created a "gizmo" for Nuke compositing software that facilitates the ease of placement of 3D layers in positive and negative parallax. This "gizmo" also is used for advance 3D viewing options for multiple 3D displays.
- Deep understanding of post production.
- Strong understanding and use of stereoscopic human factors
- Creative ways to use 3D as a story telling device.
- Creative direction, organized, detail oriented.
- Free and cross-viewing 3D ability.
- Live action 2nd unit director.
- Digital cinematographer.
- Timelapse and optical flow techniques.
- On Set supervision and collaborator
8/12/10 "Best Animated Feature" Star Wars: The Solo Adventures, a 6 minute stereoscopic 3D film won the 2010 Fan Film Awards at Star Wars Celebration V in Orlando Florida Link
11/20/02 “First place, best new product” awarded at IAAPA ( International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) 2002 for an eight minute 3D stereoscopic HD film, “A Tinker-Doodle Christmas” created for Santa’s Village in Jefferson
6/23/99 Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technologies Graduate of the year for 1999. Was
chosen from a field of over 1000 eligible recipients representing 700 different colleges and trade schools as the most outstanding
accomplished graduate for the year of 1999.
Many other productions that Daniel has been an integral part of have been either nominated or won Telly, Mobius, Emmy, and Academy Awards. Link
Stitched photo of Daniel Smith, Stereoscopic Supervisor seen at Radio City Music Hall with his stereo alignment and depth grid projected on the screen.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- 10/03 FXphd. Stereoscopic Conversion Class. 2D to 3D fundamentals and workflows for feature films.
- 10/02 FXphd. Nuke Zombie Apocalypse. Nuke compositing Digital Makeup and Desctruction.
- 3/20 FXphd. Stereoscopic Conversion Class. 2D to 3D fundamentals.
- 8/01 HDRI 3D magazine publishes "Stereoscopic Nuke" Issue 33 Link
- 4/09 "Stereoscopic Webinar" Special stereoscopic seminar for private consulation.
- 3/25 Zalman chooses Danimation for 3D content on website and CD distribution.
- 3/22 "Your Eyes Should not BLEED!" Special stereoscopic seminar: The Dave School, Orlando FL. Link
- 3/13 Interview with Stereoscopic expert Daniel Smith: International Lightwave Users Group Link
- 11/12 Villia Maria College, Buffalo NY. Guest lecture on the state of stereoscopic 3D and VFX. Link
- 10/07 FX Mogul Radio Show 11: Link
- 8/09 Webinar "Stereoscopic 3-D and where LightWave 3D Fits in" Link
- 9/08 National Public Radio "Morning Edition." Was Interviewed for a piece that aired on NPR’s morning Edition about the new wave of
stereoscopic film production. Link
- 9/08 3rd Dimension Newsletter, "Veritas et Visus." Published article on stereoscopic evaluations of "Fly me to the Moon." Link
- 8/08 Alfred State College SUNY. Stereoscopic consultant and Advisory Board participant.
- 5/08 Alfred State College SUNY. Guest lecturer and panelist for Digital Media & Animation Pre-Production Presentations.
- 3/08 Fxguide.com I was interviewed and included for a feature article on "Art of Digital Stereoscopic Film" Link
- 10/03 Guest lecturer at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Advanced Media Arts Class.
- 1/99 NewTechniqes Magazine. Published an extensive article about the methods of 3D stereoscopic animation
production. Link 12mb
- 1/94 Video Toaster Magazine. Published two images that were created using Lightwave 3D and featured in the gallery.
- 6/93 Video Toaster Magazine. Created several images that with Lightwave 3D and featured in the gallery.
- Nuke training workshop at Digital Domain, 2004
- Directing a Feature Film workshop, AFI Washington D.C. 1994
- Acting and Improv workshop, Community Theater Reston, VA1993
- Associates Degree in Specialized Technology, Art Institute of Pittsburgh 1992
- FXphd Professor 2013 terms - NUKE, Compositing, Stereoscopic, and Ocula Training
- FXphd Professor 2012 terms - NUKE and Ocula Training
- FXphd Professor 2011 terms - NUKE and Ocula Training
- 2010 to present DAVE School International, Orlando Florida. Block 4 Instructor
- FXphd Professor April 2010 term "Nuke 2D to 3D Stereoscopic Conversions"
- VFX Supervisors Bootcamp, Los Angeles CA. Link June 25-27, 2010
- FXphd Professor Oct 2009 term "Nuke and Stereoscopic" Link
- FXphd Professor Oct 2009 term "Introduction to Stereoscopic" Link
- "Stereoscopic 3D for VFX", DVD based training, Kurv Studios 2009
- Digital Fusion Training, IBC Digital 2005
- Nuke Training for Lighters, ReelFX creative Studios 2004
- Digital Media Center, Portland Oregon, Lightwave 3D character animation course, 1997
- Animators Anonymous, an animation workshop at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, 1991
Daniel L Smith
Phone: (+1) 716-435-0735
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
1996-2011 Danimation. All Rights Reserved.
Copyrighted material from films or productions are owned and copyright
their respective owners and are only here for portfolio purposes